Thursday, October 27, 2016

Update on SB 11, Concealed Carry

On October 12, 2016, the Presidents of all seven colleges were notified by Rob Wendland that a District Office committee has been formed to address concerns about SB 11, the concealed carry law. The Presidents were asked to put forward the names of people who could serve on campus committees, which will be formed in order to provide input to the district group. Per the Chancellor’s directive, this is to be an advisory group, and the intent is to develop one policy for the entire DCCCD rather than separate policies for each college.

Copied here is a portion of the email from Rob Wendland, so that you can see the intended plan and the membership of the district committee


Presidents-
            The Concealed Carry Committee at the District Office has begun meeting in an effort to assimilate information and resources, and provide a framework and process, to ensure that the District is prepared to meet its obligations under Senate Bill 11 (commonly referred to as Campus Carry).  The law, which takes effect for the District on August 1, 2017, requires the District to establish and promulgate reasonable rules and regulations, after consultation with students, faculty and staff, for the concealed carry of handguns by license holders in college buildings and facilities.  In order to develop these rules and regulations, including identification of those areas where handguns may not be carried, the District’s Concealed Carry Committee will work in collaboration with Concealed Carry Committees at each of the Colleges to gather input and information from students, faculty and staff, which will be assimilated and provide the basis for recommendations by the Chancellor to the Board of Trustees.  

The District Concealed Carry Committee is currently comprised of:

Rob Wendland, General Counsel
Tricia Horatio, Assistant General Counsel
Justin Lonon, Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief of Staff
Issac Faz, Associate Vice Chancellor, Public and Governmental Affairs
Lauretta Hill, Commissioner of Public Safety and Security
Brigham Wilcoxson, District Emergency Manager
Richard Plott, District Director, Institutional Research
Georgeann Moss, District Director, Internet Publishing
Jasmond Anderson, Facilities Design Specialist
Matt Hinckley, President, Faculty Council
Brenda Welcome, President, Professional Support Staff 
Kent Seaver, President, Administrator Council

Liaisons from each of the colleges should have already been identified (the requested deadline was Oct. 25). Please check with your FA officers for more details.

About the district committee, Rob Wendland further indicated that: 

We are working on a District web page which will serve as a repository of information and resources related to concealed carry on campus.  We are also endeavoring to create one or more survey instruments which will be sent anonymously to students, faculty and staff, seeking information and input regarding the issues related to concealed carry on campus.  We are also working with our peer institutions and other colleges and universities which have already addressed, or are currently addressing, concealed carry on campus rules, regulations and issues.

Each college's Concealed Carry Committee will be assisting is developing methods for gathering feedback--including town hall forums and surveys. The membership of each college's committee is supposed to be identified no later than December 5, 2016. Please consult with the VPI or President for an update on the status of this at your college.  

Update on DCCCD Faculty Hiring Process Taskforce

The DCCCD Faculty Hiring Process Taskforce met Oct. 12, 2016 to begin discussing its charges and the work that needed to be done this semester. The Taskforce is being co-chaired by Dr. Jean Conway (EFC) and Dr. Matthew Henry (RLC); the full membership of the Taskforce is noted in this linked document.
Dr. Conway began with sharing the charges to the group, the most current HROG on the Faculty Hiring Process (dated 2009), and an existing Operational Memo from Eastfield College on the hiring process. Shaun Gilligan (CVC) shared the draft of the DCCCD Faculty Hiring Process developed by TILT (The Instructional Leadership Team) last year, as well as an old organizational chart (dated 1997). The members of the taskforce were asked to review this material prior to the next meeting.
The group brainstormed a list of existing problems with the hiring process and then organized these into potential areas of focus. The group identified six areas for subgroups to further research: Recruitment, Search Team process, Internal Transfer process, Onboarding, Credentialing, and Tools & Timeline.

The subgroups for each area are to research existing policies and processes, benchmark with other institutions for best practices, gather input from colleagues at all seven colleges, and then provide a summary report for the taskforce by November 4. The next taskforce meeting is scheduled for November 18. 

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Chancellors Faculty Fellows Task Force offers proposed program revisions for feedback

Colleagues,

The Chancellors Faculty Fellows Task Force met Oct. 17 to prepare a document that reflected the various comments, concerns, and suggestions that faculty and instructional leaders submitted to improve the Chancellors Faculty Fellows program.

Please thoroughly read the most recent recommendations document available at this link, (and this Board policy document, this description of the Chancellors Faculty Fellows program as it existed in its pilot year, and this credentialing matrix) and submit your comments, questions, and suggestions, via this online feedback form, between Oct. 24 and 28. Your comments do not require a login, and remain anonymous.

The Task Force will meet again Oct. 31 to consider feedback received between Oct. 24 and 28, and will prepare a revised set of recommendations for co-chairs Dr. Jose Adames (El Centro College president) and Matt Hinckley (Eastfield faculty/DCCFA president) to present to Chancellor's Staff on Nov. 7. Other members of the Chancellors Faculty Fellows Task Force are Phillip Ortiz (EFC), Johnnie Bellamy (EFC), Mary Mallard (CVC), Lori Doddy (MVC), Jessie Yearwood (ECC), Beth Stall (ECC), Matthew Henry (RLC), Martha Hogan (RLC), Czarina Reyes (BHC), and Sharon Blackman (DO).

DCCFA Bylaws proposed for revisions

At the Nov. 11, 2016 General Convention, the DCCFA will consider a comprehensive revision to its Bylaws. This is necessitated by the most recent revision, from 2007, not referencing a 2005 revision of the Bylaws, and the 2005 revision not referencing several previous revisions. In addition, 2004, 2005, and 2006 Convention minutes, that might explain the changes made in 2005, are not available. Finally, numerous current DCCFA practices are not reflected in the Bylaws. Consequently, the Faculty Council offered, and various standing committees of the DCCFA reviewed, preliminary revisions to the DCCFA Bylaws on Oct. 7, and suggested further changes. These and additional revisions are now presented for all members to consider and suggest additional changes between Oct. 24 and 28. A final set of proposed Bylaws - for consideration at the Nov. 11 General Convention - will be posted to the DCCFA Advance Blog on Oct. 31.  Please thoroughly read this link to the proposed revisions to the Bylaws, and submit your comments, questions, and suggestions, to the online feedback forum at this link. Your comments do not require a login, and remain anonymous.

RATIONALE FOR CHANGING THE DCCFA FISCAL YEAR:



Traditionally, the fiscal year has been aligned with the election of the Faculty Council officers. Unfortunately, this creates an unnecessary fiscal complication as well as a tax issue. For example, the budget for the 2015-2016 academic year ran from June 1, 2015 to May 31, 2016.  However, that budget was not approved until November 2015, which means that for 6 months checks were being written on an unapproved budget.  This year, we have similarly been issuing checks against the 2016-2017 budget, which has not yet been developed or approved.  


For fiscal responsibility, it makes more sense for the fiscal year to run from September 1 of one year to August 31 of the next year. This way, money collected in the fall would fund the academic year in which it was collected and the year in which the budget for those dollars was created and approved.  Ideally, the Faculty Association would be able to complete all business within the fiscal year and fund the expenses incurred for that particular budget.  


Moreover, changing the fiscal year would make filing our tax information with the IRS much simpler. The process for changing our fiscal year is relatively simple and does not incur any cost above our normal costs of working with a CPA to file our information. We are waiting for final recommendations from our CPA on whether to begin the fiscal year on Sept. 1, Oct. 1, or Nov. 1. Feedback from members on this issue is welcome in the comments submitted via the online feeback forum.
 

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

FLRG (Faculty Load Review Group) Update #2


The following meeting summary was written and submitted by Chief Talent Officer Susan Hall, at the request of FLRG tri-chairs Ken Alfers, Zarina Blankenbaker, and Matt Hinckley:

Summary:
The second meeting of the Faculty Load Review Group was held on Wednesday, October 12, with an 80% attendance.  There was a good bit of concern for making progress within the timeframes required, and the meeting schedule for the remainder of the semester was adopted as follows:

1.   Monday, November 7, 2 PM  Meeting #3 (1601 South Lamar/Rm 325)
2.   Monday, November 21, 2 PM Meeting #4 (1601 South Lamar/Rm 325)
3.   Friday, December 2, 3 PM Meeting #5 (1601 South Lamar/Rm 325)
4.   Friday, December 9, 11 AM to 1 PM (including lunch – location TBA)

 Work Group reports were presented:

1.   Alpha group charged with the discussion of a contact hour based load calculation model has their scheduled first meeting on October 28.  Added group members include: Dan Dao (RLC), Kellie Sexton (NLC), Melinda Imthurn (EFC), Lupita Navarro (CVC), and Anna Dye (MVC).  In order to facilitate faculty association input, Matt Hinckley will ensure that all faculty locations are given opportunities for input through the appointment of at least one faculty member on each work group (Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie).  A question about representation from Advisory Boards was posed.

2.   Bravo group, looking at modality and class sizes, have added group members including:  Victor Soto (MVC), Shazia Ali (EFC), Don Martin (ELC), Gerardo Vega (CVC), and Charles Cadenhead (BC).  The discussion of class size and related recommendations was identified as needing some additional formal input from discipline committees, and it was agreed that this topic would not be part of the initial January executive summary from the Faculty Load Review Group.
 
3.   Charlie group, responsible for a load management focus (monitoring, training & technology) are still in the process of expanding membership, and have added Maria Boccalandro (CVC).

 Prior to the next meeting of the group, Alpha/Bravo/Charlie groups will begin to formalize review/response to key questions as assigned.  See the attached – and updated – list ofguiding questions and their assignment to specific workgroups.

 A general discussion of the use of surveys to gain input was held.  Alternative methods, including face-to-face, small group meetings, will be considered as feedback on current high usage of surveys is not positive and might skew results.
 Jamie Templeton will formalize a request for a team site on the portal in order to provide a reference point for materials and discussion. 

Susan Hall, who serves as the Chancellor’s Executive Staff sponsor for this group, advised that the complexity of the faculty load review and other compliance considerations, has resulted in a decision to pursue some additional expert consultation.  This work will be used as another information source as decisions are made.  A draft of the proposed scope of work is as follows:  Through a variety of recent reviews, and because of the District’s need to comply with ACA rules, TRS requirements, and FLSA mandates, questions regarding the consistent interpretation and application of DCCCD policy/procedures related to the assignment of teaching load for faculty, adjunct faculty, administrators and staff have risen.  Internal discussion is occurring regarding those interpretations and applications, and recommendations for change from the supervisor/employee perspective are expected in early spring 2017.  The District desires to have a neutral party review the current policy/procedures and results, and provide validation that ACA, TRS and FLSA rules are appropriately managed, and/or make recommendations on how teaching load assignment processes can be improved to achieve that validation and promote consistency.

Faculty Council Reaction:
The Faculty Council believes FLRG is properly focused on prioritizing the study of a faculty load calculation model based on contact hours, as it would rectify the long-standing inequity in the recording of lab hours in calculating full time faculty load. (Please note that the DCCFA Welfare and Benefits committee consistently has identified the "lecture/lab inequity" as one of the largest systemic inequities related to faculty compensation in the DCCCD.) The Faculty Council also believes that each work group – Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie – will best be positioned to perform their work by including a faculty member from each college. As the full roster of members of each of these groups is identified, those names will be published so that other faculty at each college will know to whom they should provide additional input and/or direct questions. With four members of the DCCFA Faculty Council on FLRG, faculty will have significant direct and representational input on the future direction of this important work.

NOTE: Input from faculty and other instructional leaders for the BRAVO sub-group is being solicited via this linked online feedback form, which also is being send to faculty and instructional leaders via email.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Update on Chancellor’s Faculty Fellows Task Force

The Chancellor’s Faculty Fellows Task Force (CFFTF) has begun its work of reviewing the Fellows initiative in order to make recommendations for systemic change and improvements. The CFFTF is being co-chaired by Jose Adames and Matt Hinckley. CFFTF members are: Sharon Blackman, Jessie Yearwood, Beth Stall, Martha Hogan, Bethany Pereira, Johnnie Bellamy, Phillip Ortiz, Lori Doddy, and Matthew Henry.

The first meeting was held on September 29, 2016.  The CFFTF is specifically charged with the following:
·         To review the pilot year’s procedures and timeline, and make recommendations for systemic improvements in the 2016-2017 program.
·         To identify barriers to hiring and make recommendations to diminish those barriers for Fellows’ candidates.
·         To review “boot camp” curriculum and make recommendations for improvement.

All of the documents distributed at the meeting are available in this folder. This includes the charges to the group, a process document, a form for mentors, and a lengthy Q&A document created last spring to respond to the many questions about the Fellows program raised by faculty last fall and spring (2015-16).

At the meeting, members were informed that Talent Central has decided that this initiative will continue this academic year and that the pool for new applicants will open in November, 2016. As of now, per the charges, the Chancellor’s Fellows program will be open to those who “have no full-time higher education teaching experience.”

The CFFTF members discussed various concerns, among them the rational for the program, its parameters and eligibility criteria, and the ways in which we might define “diversity.” As a first step, we all agreed to solicit feedback from each of the seven colleges. Each member of the CFFTF is to gather feedback in the form of questions, concerns, and suggestions for improvement.

To gather this information, we are using a simple Google form, which you can access at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/h8AIJYVbG9Z7cyIz2
There is no login, so your comments will remain anonymous.  You can fill out as much of the form as you care to—one, two, or all three sections.  Please complete this before Friday, October 7th.

The next meeting is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday, October 17th. The CFFTF will then produce a draft document with recommendations that will be shared electronically with district stakeholders from October 18-21 (as a virtual “town hall” via Google).

A final meeting is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday, October 31st. The intent is to craft a final recommendations document for presentation to the Chancellors Staff at its meeting on November 7th.